Evaluation of the effects of the green plantings strip on the spatial distribution of noise level from the road traffic
F. Stolberg, V. Barannik, A. Reshetchenko
Received: 16 September 2019
Accepted: 18 October 2019
Published: 29 November 2019
The article is devoted to the evaluation of the influence of the green plantings strip in reducing noise pollution levels around highways using an analytical model which takes into account the combined influence of other noise reduction factors. As the initial data of the calculation the full-scale measurements of noise levels on the selected profiles of the Central part of the city of Kharkiv, located on a busy Main street with high traffic intensity and adjacent to the residential area were taken.
On the basis of the study, the parameters of the model components describing the influence of various factors of attenuation of the acoustic flow intensity were determined, and it was found that the contribution of ordinary green belts in the overall reduction of the physical impact of traffic noise can be close to 40%.
Key words: traffic, noise level, green space, analytical model.
1. Vnukova N.V. The impact of highways on the environmental safety of the car-road-environment complex / Vnukov N.V.// Eastern European Journal of Advanced Technology. – 2011. – No. 5/3 (53). – p. 43-46.
2. Sheikina Yu.O. Acoustic pollution of the city's residential environment from the traffic flows / Sheikina Yu.O., Misliuk Yu.O.// Bulletin of the Mikhail Ostrogradsky KGPU: collection of scientific works/ Kremenchuk Ostrogradsky State Polytechnic University М. – Kremenchuk. – 2007. – Issue 5/2007(46). Part 1. – p. 144-147.
3. Reshetchenko A.I. Investigation of the influence of traffic flows on the acoustic environment of urban landscapes / Reshetchenko A.I.// Scientific and Technical Collection Municipal Utility of Cities. Series Engineering and Architecture No.146, 2018. p. 180-183.
4. Theano Samara, Thekla Tsitsoni. The effects of vegetation on reducing traffic noise from a city ring road, Noise Control Eng. J. 59, 2011. Р. 1-7. – Access mode: http://users.auth.gr/tsitsoni/files/eng/8%20apGetFile.pdf
5. Guidance on the calculation and design of noise protection in rural areas: DSTU-N B V.1.1-33: 2013. – [Valid from 2014-01-01]. – K .: State Consumer Standard of Ukraine, 2014. – 41 p. – (National Standard of Ukraine). – Access mode : http://www.mcl.kiev.ua/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/%D0%94%D0%A1%D0%A2%D0%A3-%D0%9D%D0%91%D0%92.1.1-33.pdf
6. Newport, J., Shorthouse, D. J. and Manning, A. D. (2014), The effects of light and noise from urban development on biodiversity: Implications for protected areas in Australia. Ecological Management & Restoration, 15: 204–214. doi: 10.1111/emr.12120
7. Noise protection: SNIPs ІІ. 12-77. – M.: Stroyizdat, 1978. – 49 p. – Access mode : http://gostrf.com/normadata/1/4294854/4294854802.pdf
8. Leushin P. I. Hygienic characteristics of the street noise and measures to fight against it // Planning, construction and improvement of residential areas. L. – 1959.
9. Osin V. А. Green space as a means of fighting against street noise. – Hygiene and Sanitation, 1964, No. 4, p. 12-15
10. Noise. Traffic streams. Methods of measurement of noise characteristics: GOST 20444-85. – M., USSR State Committee on Construction, 1985. – 23 p. – Access mode: http://files.stroyinf.ru/Data/200/20016.pdf
10. Noise. Noise measurement methods in residential areas and in residential and public buildings. GOST 23337–78. – Access mode: http://standarts.info/2007/08/12/gost_2333778_st_sjev_260080_1984_shum_metody_izmerenija_shuma_na_selitebnojj_territorii_i_v_pomeshhenijakh_zhilykh_i_obshhestvennykh_zdanijj.html
12. Guidance Note for Noise: Licence Applications, Surveys and Assessments in Relation to Scheduled Activities / Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Environmental Enforcement (OEE). – NG4, January, 2016. – 80 р. – Access mode : https://www.epa.ie/pubs/advice/noise/NG4%20Guidance%20Note%20(January%202016%20Update).pdf
13. Brown E. H., Hall F. F. Jr. Advances in atmospheric acoustics .- Rev. Geophys. and Space Phys., 1978, v. 16, N 1, p. 47-110.
14. Physical acoustics / Edited by U. Mezon. V. 2. P. А. – M.: Mir, 1968.